We believe in…
- Trinity: The one true God who lives eternally in three persons—the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- Creation: The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the world.
- Scripture: The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God—fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.
- Image & fall: The dignity of all people, made male and female in God’s image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin, which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
- Incarnation: God’s eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ—born of the Virgin Mary; truly divine and truly human, yet without sin.
- Atonement: The sacrifice of Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us with God.
- Resurrection: The bodily resurrection of Christ, the first fruits of our resurrection; his ascension to the Father, and his reign and mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
- Return & Judgement: The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfil the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.
- Justification: The acceptance by God of sinners solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
- New Birth: The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.
- Believer’s Baptism: Baptism by immersion of those who repent of their sin and place their trust in Christ as Lord and saviour. Baptism is the means of identifying with Jesus’ death, burial & resurrection on our behalf and as the expression of our discipleship to Jesus.
- Church & Priesthood: The Church, the body of Christ both local and universal, the priesthood of all believers—given life by the Spirit and endowed with the Spirit’s gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
- Communion: Celebrating the life, death and resurrection of Jesus with the [physical] elements of bread & wine. Reflecting on our need of forgiveness and remembering the New Covenant promise of acceptance before God. Communion expresses the oneness [unity] of the Christian community, the discipline of restored relationships and the joyful anticipation of the perfect communion which awaits Christians at the return of Christ.
- Plural leadership: Recognises the New Testament emphasis that all church leadership, Elders or Deacons is corporate in nature. The church is led by groups of spiritual men and women called of God to this work.
- Trinity: Matt 3:16-17, 28:19, John 14:15-23, Rom 8:9-11, 2 Cor 13:14.
- Creation: Gen CH.1, Ps. 24:1-2, Acts 17:26-27, Col 1:17, Rev 21:1
- Scripture: 2 Timothy 3:14-17, Matt 5:17-19, John 14:25-26, 2 Peter 1:16-21.
- Image & Fall: Gen1:26-28, Col 3:10 Gen 3:1-7, Rom 5:12-14, Eph 2:1-3.
- Incarnation: Matt 1: 20-25, John 1:1-2, 14-18, Phil 2:6-11. Heb 4:14-15.
- Atonement: Lev 16, Mk 10:45, John 1:29, 36, Rom 3:21-26, Heb 10:11-18.
- Resurrection & Ascension: Luke 24, John 20-21, Acts 2:27-36, 1 John 2:1-2.
- Return & Judgement: Acts 1: 9-11, 1 Cor 15:51-57, 1 Thess 4:13-18, Rev 20:11-15, 21:1.
- Justification: Luke 18:9-14, Rom 4:1- 5:1, Gal 2:17-21.
- New Birth: John 3:1-8, 2 Cor 5:14-21, Titus 3:3-6, 1 Pet 1:3-5, 23-25.
- Believer’s Baptism: Rom 6:1-4, Matt 28:19-20, Mark 1:9-11, Acts 8:36-39.
- Church & Priesthood: Matt 28:16-20, Luke 24:45-49, Rom 12:3-13, 1 Cor Chs.12-13, Eph 4:1-13.
- Holy Communion: Luke 22:14-23, 1Cor 10:16-16, 11:23-32
- Plural leadership: Acts 6:1-7, Phil 1:1, 1 Tim 3:1-13.
The Trustees of Canley Community Church wish to acknowledge that this Basis of Faith is based on the Evangelical Alliance Basis of Faith and used with grateful appreciation.